Frequently Asked Questions
What should you expect to get out of this course?
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- recognize and apply the various theories, strategies, and exercises of peacebuilding in a religious context;
- identify religious teachings, practices, and experiences that can effectively change attitudes and encourage peaceful ways of transforming conflict;
- understand the strengths and limitations of relationship- and trust-building with the religious Other through storytelling, myth-recollection, role-playing, and placatory gestures;
- gain an understanding of the broader spectrum of political, economic, social, and cultural forces that act on religious groups and people to shape / distort their values;
- evaluate specific case studies that successfully incorporated religious values to transform conflict;
- understand models for interpreting the causes of violent conflict and evaluate the effectiveness of religious teachings, practices, and experiences at preventing and reducing hostilities;
- identify the various stages of conflict and the ways in which religion is useful in each stage as a force for encouraging peaceful coexistence.
What is the format and length of the course?
This course has six modules with a total of 3.5+ hours of lecture material, plus other additional video and written content. Each section contains an exclusive and substantial detailed video lecture that's synchronized with a Keynote presentation ranging from over a half an hour to one full hour long and supplemental video clips from IRPJ's partner and friend, The Work of the People, that are hand-picked by the instructor. This course also includes exclusive guest lectures from Ron Dart and Lisa Schirch, as well as supplemental readings provided as PDFs. The course is a completely self-paced, online course.
What materials will I need and will I have access to the lecturers?
All you will need is a computer with internet access and access to the recommended textbooks books (optional). Students can access all exclusive recorded video lectures once enroled. Unfortunately, the instructor is not available to interact or answer questions. Our suggestion would be to dialogue with a group of people going through the course, and to seek out a local practitioner.
How long do I have access to the course?
A lifetime. After enrolling, you have unlimited access to this course for as long as you like — across any and all devices you own.
What if I am unhappy with the course?
We would never want you to be unhappy! If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, contact us in the first 30 days and we will give you a full refund.