Frequently Asked Questions
What should you expect to get out of this course?
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- recognize the reality of violent worldviews, descriptions and practices in the OT Scriptures of God and how these were associated with divine violence;
- recognize how the themes of peace and reconciliation function across the Old Testament corpus and prepare us for the Prince of peace;
- be able to address the question of Old Testament violence and how it has been misused as a revelation of God and justified Christian malpractice;
- evaluate ‘what about’ questions regarding specific divine or divinely-sanctioned violence texts in the OT, such as the flood, the conquest, Levitical violence and the prophecies of ‘wrath.’
- become critically aware of the powerful lenses through which we approach and thus interpret the Old Testament and how Christ himself becomes our lens.
What is the format and length of the course?
This course has six modules with a total of about 3 hours of lecture material, plus other additional video and written content. Each section contains an exclusive and substantial detailed video lecture that's synchronized with a Keynote presentation ranging from over a half an hour to one full hour long and supplemental video clips from IRPJ's partner and friend, The Work of the People, that are hand-picked by the instructor. This course also includes an exclusive lecture from a couple of IRPJ's Guest Lecturers — Matt Lynch and Pete Enns — as well as supplemental readings provided as PDFs. The course is a completely self-paced, online course.
What materials will I need and will I have access to the lecturers?
All you will need is a computer with internet access and access to the recommended textbooks books (optional). Students can access all exclusive recorded video lectures once enroled. Unfortunately, the instructor is not available to interact or answer questions. Our suggestion would be to dialogue with a group of people going through the course, and to seek out a local practitioner.
How long do I have access to the course?
A lifetime. After enrolling, you have unlimited access to this course for as long as you like — across any and all devices you own.
What if I am unhappy with the course?
We would never want you to be unhappy! If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, contact us in the first 30 days and we will give you a full refund.